Welcome to Sugartown

Welcome to Sugartown - Carmen Jenner 2.5/5 star rating.

Carmen Jenner took a character based approach when plotting and developing Elijah and Ana's story and while I was kept engaged I had some major issues with what transpires in the heroine's life. I could buy the first frightening and traumatic event that Ana endures secondary to Elijah's history of association with a violent MC. However the second unrelated event where she is violated and brutalized was over-the-top IMHO. Elijah's horror and rage regarding what happened to Ana was understandable but his method of reaping vengeance, I felt wasn't realistic given his background and commitment to redeeming himself.

Lastly, Ana's friend Holly was an entertaining character who added dimension and humor to the story. However, her behavior toward the other women which was triggered by a choice she made during her visit to a Women's Clinic was insensitive and appalling.

Noted difficulties aside I did like the small town setting and the narrative's 1st POV did give me good insight and understanding of the characters' personalities and emotions. I felt Welcome to Sugartown was a reasonably good debut for this author.