Riding Wild

Riding Wild - Jaci Burton This is the first book in the series and is a story of reacquainted lovers, which is one of my favorite themes.

Lily West, a smart, savvy Dallas policewoman turned Chicago private eye is on her latest assignment to test security measures at a museum where a priceless exhibit is on display. Lily is outside watching the museum and planning to break in to demonstrate how lax the building’s security is. As she watches the building in the dark Lily becomes lost in a fantasy concerning her first lover, Mac Canfield who she hasn’t seen in 10 years.

When Lily hears the rumble of a motorcycle, which quiets in an alley outside an entrance to the museum she is jolted from her fantasy and on alert. A man, who looks achingly familiar, disembarks from the bike, breaks open the museum door, enters and then exits holding something obviously valuable. Lily approaches the man with her gun drawn, instructing him to raise his hands and turn around. The man who turns to face her is none other than her previous lover Mac. To say Lily is stunned would be an understatement, and Mac is equally so at seeing her interceding during his museum heist.

Once regaining their wits Lily lunges for the artifact that Mac is holding, which goes flying and breaks to reveal a vial that she later learns contains a virus that could be lethal to millions of people. Then bullets start flying at them from an unseen assailant. With their lives in the balance Lily and Mac escape on his motorcycle. This sets the stage for an across state “wild ride”, and when Mac refuses to let Lily go she believes she has been kidnapped by a criminal.

Mac, however is not a criminal, he is an agent working with a super secret government agency called, “Wild Riders”, founded by the enigmatic General Grange Lee. I won’t go into any more details about the “Wild Riders”; you’ll have to read the book to find out more. However, I will say that all the male agents are totally hot and very “Alpha”.

After sexually initiating Lily 10 years earlier Mac left her because of differences in social class. Essentially, he felt he would hold her back if he stayed and their relationship intensified. Despite Mac breaking her heart Lily has never forgotten him, she has had other lovers over the years but longed for his touch.

Jaci Burton’s “Wild Riders”, series is published under the ‘Heat’ division of Berkley and these books are sexually explicit. The love scenes between this couple are erotic and intense. Lily is comfortable with her sexuality and experienced. Mac is forced to come to terms with his feelings for the beautiful woman he had left behind so long ago. The sexual tension sizzles between them until 10 years of pent up longing boils to the surface. Jaci writes amazing love scenes in her erotic romance novels, while certainly hot, there is a always tenderness, that inevitably makes me *sigh*. As a reader, I always fall for the hero, she draws me in and keeps me entranced.

The underlying action plot is rife with intrigue, and twists and turns as Mac tries to keep the enemy at bay and complete his mission to deliver the vial safely with Lily in tow. He wants to tell her about Wild Riders but is sworn to secrecy, which makes for significant conflict and difficulties between them. I will say that Lily plans and executes an evening of seduction, then slips Mac a Mickey Finn in an effort to escape which leads to a riveting chase sequence.

It is certainly evident that Jaci Burton knows motorcycles, the psyche of riders, and she loves riding. She and her husband Charlie, who is affectionately known as “Biker Dude”, ride their Harley together and she goes to rallies and events with him. I could feel the wind in my face and feel Lily’s aches and pains after hours of riding behind Mac on his Harley.

Mac and Lily’s story is not only wonderful it is suspenseful, fast paced and laced with wit. Jaci’s sense of humor certainly shines and she had me laughing out loud at some of the dialogue and situations portrayed in the story.