Colters' Woman

Colters' Woman - Maya Banks Adam, Ethan and Ryan Coulter own a hunting lodge in a remote area of the Colorado Rockies. The setting for this book is breathtakingly beautiful and Maya takes you though a full change of seasons as the story progresses.

Adam is strong minded, stubborn, and tough, essentially the ‘patriarch’ of the family. He is accustomed to being a dominant in his personal and professional life, patience doesn’t tend to be his strongest virtue and he is quite stubborn by nature. Ethan is the peacemaker of the three brothers, strong, intelligent and easygoing. He is the one that referee’s the arguments and smoothes any ruffled feathers. Ethan is a methodical thinker, which comes into play in any decision he makes. Ryan, the youngest of the three brothers is, I would say the most volatile of the three. A free spirit who is also stubborn and cautious, he has suffered a horrible experience as the result of the war. Ryan is struggling to come to grips with the emotional and physical damage this has caused to his body and spirit. All three brothers have one thing in common they are fiercely protective of their family and love each other unconditionally. They also instinctively know that there is one woman who will fulfill them and be ‘their woman’.

Adam finds ‘Holly Bardwell’ unconscious and freezing to death in a snow filled ditch at the roadside outside the brother’s lodge. From the moment Adam lays eyes on Holly, he feels a special bond and senses she is ‘the one’ to complete his family. Holly is a woman on the run, terrified, abused, insecure and half frozen, she awakens in the lodge to find not one but three handsome men have taken her in and are willing to nurture and love her.

Maya spins a story of a relationship between these four people that can only be described as intense, erotic and beautiful. Holly matures and gains confidence in herself as a person, as a woman and in her sexuality under Adam, Ethan and Ryan’s careful nurturing. Adam, Ethan, and especially Ryan also grow as individuals. Holly’s past comes back to haunt her however, and her men are forced to protect and try to keep her safe as a malevolent threat from her vile abusive previous spouse closes in.

The sex scenes are graphic in this novel, but Maya crafts them in a tasteful way that is fitting with the character's unusual relationship. There is also some violence in the story, but again even those scenes are well managed and woven perfectly into the plot.

“Coulters' Woman”, made me laugh, chew my nails and weep, in other words I experienced a full range of emotions while reading this book. What is it that makes it so special? I think it is the classic ‘knight in shining armor’ rescues ‘damsel in distress’ theme. (Except you have three gorgeous knights in shining armor. lol) But more than that it is about four people whose feelings grow into a deep love and lasting commitment to one another.

This book holds a place on my bedside shelf because it is one of the few books I read, again and again and again.